Friday, August 31, 2012

The Stairs (Duh Duh Duuuuhhh)

When I was a kid, I remember sitting down to dinner at the end of summer and thinking it was so cool that everything on the table we had grown ourselves.  Of course, we lived on a dairy farm and we raised the meat, and the milk was always a given.  Anyway... I still think it's cool at the end of the summer when we sit down to dinner and most everything on the table was grown in our very own garden:
 Okay, go ahead and laugh at my hot dog.  Let's just say I haven't been feeling too creative lately with my dinners, and eating hot dogs and mashed potatoes reminds me of bangers 'n mash from Australia.  Hot dogs count, right?  BUT, the point of this is that we grew the potatoes, spaghetti squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.  I think that's pretty awesome.

Maren starts pre-school next week, and is super excited.  We met her teachers yesterday and that's all she talks about now.  I know it will be good for her.  I didn't send Ellie to pre-school.  I didn't want to, I didn't think she needed it, and I don't regret that decision.  With Maren though, I feel differently.  I feel like she needs the social interaction, and needs direction from others rather than mom.  Our family schedule is already split up because of Ellie's school, so I don't feel bad adding to it (girls start dance next week too, for that matter).  Anyway, now that I've explained myself (why do I feel I need to explain myself?), here's a cute photo of my big girl:
What a ham.

 Lainey has discovered the stairs.  Oh boy, here we go! 

 Our stairs are steep and long, with a hard wooden floor at the bottom.  Great.  We've been practicing, but I don't think it'll save her from a good tumble or two or fifteen.  Note to Dad:  need to install a gate.

1 comment:

Alicia Smith said...

looks yummy! I like hotdogs and potatoes too. Lisa B. actually made them for us. She cut the hot dog in half lengthwise and laid it down on the flat ends. Then she put a big dallop of mashed potatoes on top of the hotdog and melted cheese on top. She called them potato boats. Anyway, I love sitting down to a homegrown meal too. Of course the only thing I have in the garden are carrots right now, but the tomatoes are coming real soon! Either way not really enough to make a whole meal out of it - but it's something right? I'm hoping next year I'll have a real garden.