Saturday, October 2, 2010

10 Years Ago

Ten years ago, I was doing this:Holy cow, where in the world does time go? Last night, I had a mission reunion. Did you know I served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? I did. I didn't want to. It wasn't part of my plan for my life. But, Heavenly Father has a way of working in there and getting me to do the things I really don't want to...those hard things that make me a better person. And man, He was right. I needed to go on a mission.
I served in Australia. The Australia Perth Mission. The best one in the world, of course.I ate really good food. (Let me introduce you to the Aussie burger - the lot - pineapple, carrot shreds, beetroot, cheese - YUM)I got comfy with the wildlife.I'm feeding a joey, if you couldn't tell.That parrot on top pooped on my head.Some visitors to our city flat: a dead cockroach (we chased it around for a good while with a can of bug killer) and a container of nasty mold.
I saw amazing things:
I met incredible people, and made life-long friends: I taught the gospel, and witnessed the Spirit working in people's lives:
I worked hard and lived close to the Lord. Missions are not easy. It stretched me in ways I had never been stretched before, and that can be painful. But oh, how the blessings came, and are still coming to me and my little family. I am so grateful for this experience. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father knows me and custom-builds the opportunities I need to become that person He knows I have the potential of becoming.

1 comment:

rabnerfamily said...

What a flash from the past! I love that you served a mission too. You were always an amazing person and the Lord just used your amazing personality, love of life and more importantly your love of the gospel to bless countless lives- including mine. Thanks for being who you are.