Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ward Halloween Shin-dig

Tonight was our ward's Halloween shin-dig. There was a great turnout, and Ellie loved playing with her friends. It was fun to see the kids do a parade in their costumes. Maren wore the Raggedy Ann costume that Wendy made for Ellie a couple years ago, and Ellie went as Cinderella. During the parade, Ellie even lost her glass slipper (ok, it was plastic) on stage as she walked past. I couldn't have planned that one better if I had tried.

But something I did try was making a batch of chicken chili for the event. It wasn't very chili-like (I wasn't craving traditional chili at the time), but it was definitely tasty. Someone commented that it tasted like chicken enchiladas. Sorry we didn't get any pictures of it. Wendy said she wanted it again, so I figured I better write it down before I forgot what I did to make it. It was based very loosely on other recipes I found on the web, so I can't take all the credit/blame.
So, for your cold-weather comfort food soup cooking pleasure, here is the
White Chicken Chili/Chicken Enchilada Soup
3 big boneless, skinless breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
2 large onions, finely chopped
2/3 cup flour
2 cans evaporated milk (half and half would work)
4 cups chicken broth (water and bouillon cubes work)
3/4 cup diced mild peppers (bell, poblano, anaheim, or whatever you have)
2 15 oz cans Great Northern White beans
1 cup shredded jack cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
6-8 Tbsp Butter
2-4 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1-3 Tbsp Salt
1-2 tsp Pepper
1-2 tsp chili powder
Butterfly and season the breasts with a generous amount of salt, pepper, paprika, granulated onion, chili powder, and a little garlic. Put some butter and oil (about 3 Tbsp total) in a large skillet at medium high heat, and cook the chicken on both sides. When it's done, remove and set aside to cool. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
Add another tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil to the pan, and throw in the chopped onions. Cook for 5-10 minutes at medium heat, until they are very soft and starting to caramelize. Remove from heat.
In a pot large enough for the soup, heat up the last 4 tablespoons butter and 2 tbsp oil. Sprinkle in 2/3 cups flour, and stir well with wisk or big spoon. Cook this roux for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add evaporated milk and broth. Stir until it comes to a boil, allowing it to thicken. Add onions, and salt, pepper, chili powder to taste. For a little kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Mix in beans, chicken, peppers, cheese, and sour cream.

No comments: