Friday, October 5, 2012

What's For Dinner

Monday - Combined FHE with my brothers.  We enjoyed delicious homemade soups in Kneader's yummy sourdough bread bowls (Did you know you could buy them for about $1.30?  This is good to know!  They're so good!).  Also fruit salad, and we provided some apple crisp and ice cream.

Tuesday - Reuben sandwich for Nick and I, hot dogs for the kids.  By the way, I believe that this is a sure sign that I'm getting old.  When I was young, I'd never go for rye bread, but now rye bread with sauerkraut!?  Yep, and my favorite ice cream is Butter Pecan.  I do believe that officially makes me 'old'.  That was a total side note.  Back to dinner: chips and veggie sticks on the side.

Wednesday - Meatloaf, roasted potatoes and butternut squash, salad, peas.

Thursday - Tomato Soup (look below for the recipe - even my kids love it!), grilled cheese sandwich, canned peaches

Friday - Bean and cheese burritos with salsa, quacamole, and chips.

Tomato Soup:
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
2 c water
6 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley (1 Tbsp fresh)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried thyme (1 tsp fresh)
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp pepper
In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender.  Stir in flour to form a smooth paste.  Gradually add water, stirring until thick.  Add all other ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. 

By the way, have you noticed I don't usually post Saturday and Sunday dinners?  That's because a lot of the time it's just something thrown together last minute, or we splurge and go out to eat.  If we do something worth bragging about, I'll let you know.  ;)

No comments: