Monday, January 2, 2012

Ring in the New

I could also call this "The Really Long Post" because there is quite a bit to catch up on, and a lot of photos. My husband had all of last week off, and we very much enjoyed our time together as a family. Blogging was not my top priority by far. Let's get started here.

My mom threw her annual Christmas party on Christmas Eve, so while Nick prepped desserts, I snapped photos of the kids.

Every year mom tells us to come prepared to share a talent. It's fun and all, but we just didn't have a talent to share. So this year we did something a little different - sled racing. Every family was given materials and 10 minutes to make a sled, and then we raced them down a board. It was fun.

Then the nativity. Ellie was an angel this year, Maren was Mary, and Lainey was the star as baby Jesus.



Christmas morning was awesome. Really. The girls were SO excited. This is the magic right here. Of course, Ellie kept complaining that we had more presents last year. Still working on the gratitude thing.



Maren's Barbie car she requested Santa. Poor Ellie really wanted a bunk bed, but I guess Santa just couldn't fit it in his sleigh.

Lainey in her new seat.





The damage.

After church on Christmas morning.

This one just cracked me up. We all look pretty ridiculous.

That evening we went for round 2 with Nick's family.

The day after Christmas we joined my family at a cabin in Daniel's Canyon. We've been going up there for years now, and I dread all the packing and moving of stuff (usually we have to snowmobile in - this year there was just enough snow to enjoy sledding AND drive 4x4 vehicles right up to the door! It was great!), but once I'm there, I don't want to leave. We don't do much - we eat, play games, read, watch movies, eat, prep food, sled, eat, wash dishes, do puzzles, and eat. Did I mention that we eat?





Lainey made the rounds with everyone, here her cousin mesmerized her right to sleep.









Does this scare you? A good portion of the time the cousins were chasing each other with these nerf guns.

In the time we were there, 41 of my family were there too. We left and others came up, but it was so great to spend that quality time with family without any distractions.


Today Nick is back at work, tomorrow Ellie goes back to school. Real life is here once again. It's a bittersweet thing.


Nick thinks that New Years is a silly holiday, and we don't do much celebrating around here (we were awake this year, and saw fireworks going off all over the valley from our bedroom window, does that count as celebrating?). I have done some reflecting though, as a year has ended and a new one began. This last year, I'd say, has been the most challenging in all 7 years of married life. We've had several bumps in the road. However, I can honestly say that through it all, we've been happy, and have grown closer as a couple, and as a family. Despite it's challenges, it's been a good year. Bring on another.

1 comment:

rabnerfamily said...

I remember that cabin and the great time we had there. What a wonderful holiday! Happy New Year!