Thursday, December 22, 2011

Tradition

Right now there are 7 little bodies running around our house. Because it's Christmas break, we invited our friends over to play. Oh goodness, it's noisy. But the kids are having a great time, and I'm so happy to hear sounds of playing together nicely. I've chosen to ignore a good portion of what is happening so I can take a minute to blog. Houses can be cleaned, right?

I've been thinking lately about Christmas traditions. I've gone from the participant to the instigator, and I want my kids to enjoy family traditions that are meaningful. That's my job now. With little kids, I feel like our traditions are still evolving, and I'm sure they'll continue to change as our lives change. Anyone have any fun traditions?

Here's one of ours:
The making of gingerbread cookies.











Oh yum. I'll put the recipe at the end here because before I had these, I was always like, "yeah, gingerbread cookies are okay" to "Oh baby! These just became my favorite cookie!" I'm sad to report that some went to Nick's work, some went in the freezer for Santa (because it's his favorite cookie too) and the rest are gone. We downed them all. I'd like to blame the kids for this, but I had more than my fair share and I know it.


By the way, speaking of tradition, my favorite was as follows: For Christmas Eve, we'd always do a program with singing and playing games and such. Afterwards, we'd go out to the calf shed (or sometimes the straw barn) where we'd take a seat on straw bales that had been previously arranged. My dad would read Luke 2 via flashlight. It was usually bitterly cold, but that's not what I remember. I remember stars shining and cows lowing, and thinking that where we were was not so far off from how the Savior started His life here on earth. It was humbling, and I felt the Spirit there. As I remember, we only did this a few years in a row, but that is what has stuck with me most. Thanks, mom and dad, for having meaningful traditions.


And, here is my newborn babe (who is not so much a newborn anymore):



Did you notice those chubby cheeks? She's still not 'big', but she's getting a little deliciously chunky!



Gingerbread Cookies

1 c shortening

1 c sugar

1 egg

1 c molasses

2 Tbsp vinegar

5 c flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ginger

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp cloves


Whip shortening and sugar. Add egg, molasses, and vinegar. Combine well. Add dry ingredients. Chill dough. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut out. Cook on greased sheet at 375 for 6 minutes. Cool and decorate.

1 comment:

Red headed left handed Bishops said...

Mmmm, I'm SO making these cookies tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I love your parents tradition with taking you guys out to the barn in the hay! So awesome! I've been thinking about traditions too for Finn, I didn't grow up with much except for opening presents on Christmas Eve and how we opened them, but I want to have more traditions for my kids.