Thursday, December 1, 2011

Balance Act

Yesterday I went all out for dinner. I started preparations in the early afternoon and come dinner time we had delicious steaming potato soup in freshly made bread bowls. It was so yummy. And I'd say, well worth the time it took to make them. I enjoyed my time in the kitchen, hands covered in bread dough and timers beeping. I enjoy cooking (most of the time) and I felt like I was doing a service to my family - providing healthy, homemade cooking.

Of course, as rosy as this sounds, it's not all that you think. This came at a price. Everett was extremely upset that I was paying attention to the bread dough and not to him. He was whining and crying and hanging on my leg (I've already covered that one, it's my favorite thing). Lainey wanted to be held constantly, even as she slept, and the girls were fairly occuppied with a friend, but it was still very noisy and chaotic. All of this turned this momma into a monster. I was frustrated and banned kids from the kitchen (and not in the nicest way). I yelled at kids and kept saying to Everett, "What do you want?" I knew exactly what that sweet boy wanted. He wanted a momma and that was more than this momma could give at the moment. The time between 5 and 6 is the most difficult of the day, hands down. That is dinner prep time and my kids seem to sense that mom is trying to get something done, and they just go crazy. They want my undivided attention, now. And Lainey always wants to be held that time of the day (thank goodness for the Baby Bjorn). Perhaps that is why moms turn to frozen dinners and take-out. It would be so much easier. I realized last night that I need more balance in my life. My kids need me to strike a balance too. I want homemade, quality meals, but I'm not a chef. I'm a mom. How do I find a balance between all that needs to be done?

Deep thoughts. I've become quite the philosopher lately.

Unrelated to bread bowls and screaming kids, Lainey has a stocking:

Holy cow. We have six stockings on our fireplace. SIX. It still blows my mind.


The color is wonky on this photo, sorry. We met a new, sweet cousin a few days ago. These girls are 6 weeks apart.

Everett and his cousin (aka partner in crime) came to "love" Lainey (or poke her eyes out, you be the judge).

My favorite corner of our house:

I'll get off the computer now. I have about 20 things to 'balance' right now. Hmm. Come to think of it, my kids didn't even eat my soup and bread last night.

1 comment:

rabnerfamily said...

I am so impressed- you have your decor up and the new stocking made. I have about 1/3 of my decor up and only have the idea for my needed new stocking. You seem to be balancing just fine. But I do agreed it is a trick- every day. Hang in there and enjoy the better days!