Monday, September 10, 2012

Weighty Matters

Since about the age of 10, I've been on the 'chunky' side.  There were times in my life I'd try to exercise, but the weight never really came off (although now I know that I didn't really try), and I just blamed genetics and moved on with my life.  Well, the last 10 weeks of Ellie's gestation, I was put on bedrest for high blood pressure.  The doctor warned me that with a family history of it (thanks a lot, Dad) I was doomed to be put on medication and also warned that because of the complications during pregnancy, I would be wise to limit the number of children we could have.  Well, that was a wake up call to me.  I hadn't been taking good care of my body, and I knew it.  When I had a hard time getting pregnant after a miscarriage, I used that as motivation to lose those blasted extra pounds.  And I did.  From my highest weight to right now, I've lost a total of 50 pounds.  My goal is to lose another 10 before Lainey's 1st birthday.  During this journey, I've discovered some tips and tricks that work really well for me, and people ask all the time, so here it is:
I guess I did like cats at one point in my life.

*It all starts in the head.  Wrapping my head around the idea is the hardest part for me, but once I'm 'there', then the rest is easy.  Every single day I have to re-dedicate myself. 

*Moderation is key.  If I tell myself, "no sugar this week", well, all I want is sugar.  But, if I tell myself, "go ahead and have that Hershey kiss, but just have one and savor it," then I feel much better about life.  I've always told myself that I can eat whatever I want, I just can't have as much.

*In the past, I've been a calorie counter, and have used some good tools (I used sparkpeople.com for awhile) and that worked well.  This time around, I'm more focused on healthy eating.  I eat as many vegetables and fruit as I want (and I focus on the veggies), add a few whole grains, milk products, and a little meat (one or less than one a day).  By doing this, I automatically eat fewer calories because vegetables are very low calorie, and fruit, not so much, but I know it's good for me too.  :)  Also, I've cut a lot of red meat out of my diet, eating it only once a week or so.

*Do an extra serving of veggies at the dinner table.
I loved that shirt.  I don't think I ever loved those glasses.

*Don't get too hungry.  A 'shallow' tummy feeling is kind of nice, it makes me feel like I'm doing something good, but don't get too hungry, or you'll lose it and head to the high calorie treats!  If you feel hungry, eat a fruit of veg.

*Get moving!  It's much more than just a burning of calories.  On the days that I exercise, I'm much more likely to eat well.  I have discovered I need exercise for good mental health because I'm much more depressed and moody when I haven't done it.  And when I'm feeling depressed what is my natural urge?  Pull out the chocolate.  I choose to run, and for the first time in my life, I actually enjoy it.  It only took me 6+ years to get there.  I don't think it really matters what you choose to do, just do it.

*Cut your portions in half (if you are eating like a typical American).  You really don't need as much as you think you do.  Don't allow yourself seconds.  Remember, you can eat as many vegetables as you want, so if you're still starving after your allowed portion, load up on the green beans and salad.

*Savor every bite.  Really enjoy your food, instead of shoveling it down.  Eating is fun, and delights the senses (he he), enjoy it.  When you eat dessert, have a small portion and enjoy every moment that deliciousness is in your mouth.  You don't need seconds, you'll have other opportunities to eat it again.

*Allow yourself a splurge every once in awhile.  Go ahead, have seconds of that fabulous dinner.  Eat dessert.  Have four cookies instead of two.  Just don't do it every day.  Give yourself a meal or a time once a week that you can splurge, and plan for it.  I usually splurge a bit on Sunday because Nick's cooking and it's usually really tasty.  We usually do a dessert on Sunday too, and you bet I eat it. 

*Plan ahead.  If you know you have an event coming, plan for it.  If you're going to a restaurant, look up the menu and think about good and better choices.  Also, if you know you'll be having a dinner party in the evening and will want to eat lots of good food, well, don't eat as much during the day.  Which, leads me to my next point:
My hair always loves a breeze.

*Be good for breakfast and lunch.  If you blow your breakfast with lots of stuff you shouldn't be eating, then you've pretty much blown the day.  Keep breakfast and lunch low calorie and save calories for dinner.  But, also make sure you are eating food that is filling - cereal just doesn't last.  My typical breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with banana, or whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a fruit of some kind. But...

*Don't beat yourself up over failure.  Yep, you're gonna want pancakes with syrup, eggs, hash browns and bacon someday for breakfast.  Go ahead, once a week isn't going to upset the pattern you've established.  Allow yourself the splurge every once in awhile and move on with life.  Rededicate yourself to eating better the rest of the day.

*Drink lots of water.  I have one of those hospital mugs sitting on my kitchen counter which I drink from and refill several times a day.  It helps me feel fuller and I think it's good to keep my body flushed out (particularly important after a kidney stone 2 years ago, and I'm scared of another one).

*Give yourself reminders.  I have my weight written with a bathtub crayon on my mirror.  I record my weight loss every week, and this is motivating to me.  Every time I look at that I think to myself "I want to put ... down next week."  I also have goals pinned up on my fridge to give me a reminder.
At my fattest, ever.  Remind me never to go back there.

*Do it with someone.  For awhile, Nick and I were both working on losing weight, and it was so helpful to have someone to do it with.  You can encourage and cheer each other on.  Also, I have a running buddy, which is great motivation for getting up in the morning - I don't want to miss and put someone else out.  Plus, we both find it much more enoyable to run with someone to talk to.  If you don't have someone, at least select a person who cares about you that you can report progress to. 

*Eating out can be a challenge, but I've learned some tricks:  First, share your meal.  Nick and I will often find a menu item we are both interested in, and then share it.  If you don't share, when you get your meal, cut in in half.  Eat one half and take the other half home for later.  Nick and I love a good burger, so we go occassionally, but... I don't need a combo meal.  Just order the sandwich and a water.  There are always tons of fries when our family goes out for burgers, so I snitch a few from the kids and I'm good.  Sometimes you can order steamed veggies in the place of fries too.  This is a good choice.  Sodas and juices are high calorie with no nutrition, so I steer clear.  I'm good with water at restaurants. 

*Get it out of the house.  If your weakness is chocolate (mine is), get it out of the house.  Give it away, throw it away, make the kids eat it ;), whatever.  Don't buy it.  Believe me, you will still have opportunities to enjoy it.  Also, if you make a treat (it happens occassionally), make a half batch, or give half away.  Your neighbors will love you.
Ten more pounds to go, 4 1/2 weeks.  Think I can do it?  I think I can.  :)

5 comments:

Alicia Smith said...

Way to go Wendy! I needed this right now...I started the day great but after some frustration with a certain two year old I was counting down the minutes until nap time when I could veg out with a piece of cake :( not the best choice eh? But after reading your post I no longer want that piece of cake. So thank you. And yes I do think you can loose that 10 lbs. Now I'm going to go work at believing that I can too. Love you.

Red headed left handed Bishops said...

Love it! I really need to lose weight; besides being pregnant, I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I hate it. I'm generally a happy person, but I find that this my mood sometimes, which I don't like. It's SOOO hard eating healthy when I am SOO busy and lately I'm not even home to cook dinner. Thanks for the tips, I need to start applying them in my crazy life!

rabnerfamily said...

I love it! You look amazing. I especially like the rededicate every day. I need those reminders. Whenever Peter joins me on a health kick, I stop losing weight and he starts losing really well. Frustrating, but I am happy for him.

Birgitta said...

Great tips and reminders.....the two hardest for me is not drinking enough water (maybe I get 2-3 cups a day) and eating seconds and thirds. My weight slowly goes up when I don't take control.

My friend is doing a healthy/lose weight challenge if you want to join. I posted it on my facebook page if you want to check it out.

:) You look fantastic so keep it up!

Heather Wihongi said...

Wend, I was just noticing on Friday how amazing you look. Seriously, how many women are thinner AFTER having four kids?! You are one of the hardest workers I know. . .way to go! (And thank you SO much for sharing your wisdom!)