Tuesday, July 17, 2012

We Are Family

Growing up, I was always proud of the fact that I am #10 of 12 children.  I adored my older brothers and sisters and wanted to be just like them.  I loved the stares (and glares?) of strangers as we went on vacation together.  Nothing has really changed.  I'm still proud of my family, and love being with them.  I still want to be like my brothers and sisters and admire them in many ways.  This last weekend, I was once again reminded just how awesome we are.  We had our First Annual Reunion.

Friday morning was spent at Mom and Dad's doing projects around the farm.  We sanded and stained the swingset and deck, bricked in a portion of the milking barn, fixed the roof and the rain gutter on the old barn, weeded, pruned, installed a ceiling fan, cleaned and changed lightbulbs in the chandelier, cleaned out and refilled the sandbox, and began the project of changing out the old wood on the scales.  Did I miss anything? 



 Oh my goodness, I could not have a happier boy.  He got to ride on the tractor.  He loved it.  He didn't want to get off.  He kept tugging on my sister's shirt throughout the rest of the weekend and asking to "ride tractor?" 
That afternoon we had several activities going on at my brother's house:  volleyball, an inflatable water slide, and this inflatable obstacle course:
 Everett carried this tractor and trailer around the entire weekend:

 I think Nick won.  I'm pretty sure the adults had more fun on this than the kids did.  We had a few stiff necks from landing on heads, and a set of very bruised (broken?) toes, but no serious injuries.  We played like we were 12 years old again all weekend long.  It was awesome. 
 Everett was so pooped (he was up until after midnight with the excitement of sleeping in a tent, after all) he found a nice place to sleep on the front porch. 

Cotton candy?  It's a real party now!
 Daddy was pooped too.

That evening we had a program and some games.

 Minute to Win It.
 I had to put that photo in because my sisters are awesome.  (I think that's the third time I've used the word 'awesome'.  Sorry, it was, and they are. :)

Some people stayed up to watch an outdoor movie, the rest of us crashed our weary bodies for the night (afterall, we haven't been 12 for a long time). 

Saturday morning we went to the park for some Ultimate Frisbee, softball, and some face painting:


 And an Uno Championship:




 After lunch, we went for a little hike together:


 With the exception of maybe one or two, I can claim all these people.  And really, this is only a small portion of us.  Our family, with my sisters:



That night we got together with my Dad's extended family for a dinner and program.  We had such a fun time!  We played hard.  Family, I love you all!  Thanks for the awesome time (had to throw it in one more time)!

2 comments:

rabnerfamily said...

Oh, you do have an amazing family! I have fond memories of meeting and playing with quite a few of them. And I remember how much you loved them- you are all a testament of what family is supposed to be!

Birgitta said...

I LOVE your family too! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!! I have the most "awesome" memories too! :) XOXOXO