Sunday, May 6, 2012

What's For Dinner?

One of my many responsiblities is to keep my family fed.  I like this part of my job description, most days.  I enjoy cooking.  This being said, I don't always like coming up with things to cook.  I feel like it takes some imagination, which on most days, I lack.  So, come 4 o'clock each day, I'm thinking to myself, "What am I going to cook tonight?"  Lately, I've been experimenting with new recipes, and we've had a lot of vegetable to work through (we've been doing Bountiful Baskets).  We had my sister over for dinner the other day, and she was talking about wanting a list of dinner ideas, and I promised her I'd put it on my blog.  Maybe someone can benefit from it, and it will be a good list for me as well for those days I need some help deciding what to make.  So, here goes, our last week in dinner meals:

Sunday:  Grilled T-bone steaks, roasted rosemary and garlic steak fries, salad, grilled asparagus
Monday:  Spaghetti, steamed broccoli, garlic toast
Tuesday:  Costco pizza
Wednesday:  leftover spaghetti and more steamed broccoli (dad was out of town on business)
Thursday:  Jambalaya (Nick and I loved this recipe, however it was a little spicy for my wimpy kids), green beans with almonds (I adapted from this recipe - so tasty!)
Friday:  fend for yourself night (momma went to hang with the girlfriends)
Saturday:  Five Guys (after working in the yard all day, we deserved it!)
Sunday:  taquitos, guacamole, mango salsa, lime rice, refried beans, corn chips

Tips from the week:
*I had some extra bell peppers that were threatening to go bad before I could use them, so I diced them up and froze them in freezer bags (one pepper per bag).  These are perfect to throw into whatever recipe calls for a diced bell pepper (like the jambalaya). 
*Did you know you can freeze rice?  I didn't until about a week ago.  This is especially handy for brown rice, since it takes so long to cook.  Now, whenever I make brown rice, I make a little extra and put it in a freezer bag.  When I need it, I put the bag in the microwave for about three minutes, viola!  Awesome!  I used this tip for the jambalaya as well, it was so nice.

No comments: