T-3 weeks until school starts. I really love my kids being home, but I feel like it's time for one reason - I can't keep up with them! I feel I need a few good days without them around just so I can put my house back together. I put off big organizing jobs because what's the point? That one room that is a disaster right now will be a disaster tomorrow whether I spend hours going through it or not! I'm gonna soak up these last days of summer though, it makes me sad when it ends.
We took the family (plus one) to Bridal Veils, the perfect spot to get wiggles out and cool off on a hot summer day!
Want to know the secret to yummy cherry pie? Fresh cherries! Duh, right? We pick up our pie cherries by the bucket, straight from the orchards of southern Utah County. We don't mess around when it comes to pie.
Reminds me of that one summer I sorted cherries in my teenage years. I think I had nightmares of monotony for years to come.
And this is my man, making and canning cherry jam:
Seriously, how lucky am I?
We got to meet a new cousin! There is nothing in this world like a new babe. It was hard to leave this little squishy guy:
Oh, he's a sweetie!
And then, I had a birthday. What I really wanted was to get away on a long summer vacation, but that is not to be this year. I settled for a day trip to the mountains. We headed up to the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway. How is it that I've lived my life here in Utah and not spent quality time in the Uintas? It was beautiful! Some of the most beautiful I've seen here in Utah! Our first stop was the Fairy Forest, which was really so cool. It was a huge area with painted rocks and other little decorations that have been left by families in years past. We spent a good amount of time exploring, and I'm sure we didn't even get to half of it.
Here is my favorite:
I liked that it was all made from materials found right there, but was still so creative!
My kids loved it and I loved that their creativity was peaked.
Everett's stick creation:
Maren's Fairy Garden:
Next up was a stop at Provo River Falls. So pretty! I loved all the pines and wildflowers!
Mirror Lake for a picnic lunch and stroll by the lake:
We were having a grand time til it started pouring rain on us. Then the kids decided they were done.
We drove around a bit while we let the rain subside.
That one speaks for itself. :)
A walk around Teapot Lake:
Notice the jackets? While the valleys were blazing around 100 degrees, the Uintas were much cooler, getting down to 56 during the rainstorm. It was lovely to feel chilly for a bit!
I love this photo because it's real life. Just sisters being silly. They were getting a kick out of Daisy crossing her legs like a lady.
One more stop at Trial Lake, just so we could sit by the water and let the kids run wild. I tell you what, nothing makes for happier kids than open spaces, a stick, water and rocks to climb on.
This is Ellie drying off after she slipped off the log above and fell in the water. :) They were all pretty wet by the time we left, though.
It was really a perfect day up where I can think more clearly. On the way home, we had dinner in Kamas at Hi Mountain Drug. It's worth the drive in and of itself. I think it was the best burger I've had (the Philly Cheeseburger, for future reference). Service was slow, and the place itself is kind of divey-looking, and it was on the pricey side for a burger, but it was worth it all. Ingredients were fresh and hot and oh, so tasty. We splurged (it was a birthday treat after all) and got shakes too. Nick went for the Chicken n Waffle. I know, it sounds gross. I thought it was good, but weird. Nick loved it and can't wait to go back and try the Bacon Maple shake.
Maren always keeps us laughing:
She's being Dad, can you tell? :)
Cake!
Checkin' out my new sunnies.
Thanks, honey bunny for a fabulous weekend!



























1 comment:
Oh Wendy! You are such a wonderful and lovely person. I am so blessed to know you! I want to be more like you! I am so glad you had a great birthday!
Post a Comment