Friday, July 25, 2008

Trains in the Bed

My mom reminds me often of what a scaredy-cat I was as a kid. There were many many nights that I layed in bed, scared out of my mind about spiders, or fires, or what would happen if I never got off the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland. Yes, I'm serious. And my mother spent many a night trying to calm my fears. Well, now it is my turn with my own two year old. She has always been able to hear and then comment on noises that we just don't notice any more, but lately these noises scare her. She will hear a noise, like a motorcycle, or a train, and come running to me, hugging me tight and asking, "what's that?" She tells me often that she's scared whenever she hears such noises. Last night, though, after tucking her into bed, she heard a firework and came running and screaming into our bedroom. We calmed her down and she fell asleep in her bed. In the middle of the night, there was a repeat performance, this time she was saying "there's a train in my bed!" She could hear the trains and that scared her too. Nick spent quite a bit of time trying to convince her that the trains were outside and she was safe in her bed. Finally he layed down with her until she slipped away to dreamland once again. Poor baby. I remember how real those fears were to me, and I can understand that a dark bedroom can be a scary place. For my own sake (I really really like my sleep) I hope this is a phase that quickly passes.

No comments: