Monday, February 22, 2016

A True Friend

 My poor hubby.  He is a busy man.  His life is overflowing with work, school, his church calling and ya know, me and the kids (we demand a lot of him too).  The class he is currently taking has been a time consuming one, he's had a lot of late nights and early mornings.  Friday afternoon he was working from home and I went to ask him something and found this:
Sometimes you are so tired, even the carpet starts to look like a good nap location.  Too much to do, not enough hours in the day, and definitely not enough sleep.  Funny though, eh?  :)

This weekend was spectacular.  Blue skies, sunshine, and 50 degree weather.  We all got some much needed Vitamin D.




 Get on the ground around here and it's an invitation.

Saddest face in the whole wide world.  This boy has got his sad face down, he takes every opportunity.  I can't even remember what he was sad about because I've become immune to it's powers.


And now, wise words by Wendy.  Or something like that.  

I've been thinking a lot about friends lately and their influence in my life.  I've had great friends over the years.  Some have stuck with me beginning in Junior High years and going strong today.  Some have come into my life and boy, how I needed them, and then life happened, and even though these people are still my friends, I don't rely on them as heavily for support as I once did.  Each one of these true friends have had something in common:  they see me for who I am and love me despite it, warts and all.  I know, without a doubt, that Heavenly Father has had a huge hand in guiding these people into my life because they seem to step in right when I need them.  The definition of a true friend in my book is someone who loves you for who you are and then helps you become better.  

Want examples?  Ok.

I talked with my good friend, Shellie, last week on the phone.  We don't do it often, but even though we haven't spoken for months, we pick up right where we left off:  hearing about each others failures and triumphs, giving advice, laughing and listening.  She has always been such a great example to me, and inspires me to be a more Christ-centered person.  Our phone call was a great reminder to me that some friendships endure.  And believe me, I haven't always deserved her friendship.  But, she's stuck with me.  I am so grateful for her.

I spent Friday evening with some of my favorite people in the world.  Most of them have been my friends since those awkward junior high years, and I've lived with all of them throughout my single years.  We've vacationed together.  We've worked and served together.  We've had many late night conversations and early morning grump sessions.  These girls have seen me through it all, and guess what?  They still love me!  We get together once a month now and that is always a treat for me.  I get to go and completely be myself.  It just feels so nice to be in a room full of people who know me deeply and who fully embrace me for who I am.  I am so grateful for these ladies.

 Back, long long years ago, I served a mission in Australia.  I met a wonderful friend named Jai.  We hit it off right away, a true kindred spirit.  She really loved me, and treated me like family.  I needed her.  I don't know the exact reasons I was sent to that mission, but I do know that Jai was one of those reasons.  We remained good friends throughout the remainder of my mission and she helped me adjust to coming home through online messaging.  She visited me several times in the years that followed.  Distance makes it hard, and our lives have taken funky turns at times, but thanks to fb, instagram, and messaging, I still keep in touch with her.  And, I know she reads my blog.  :)  Love you, Jai!  I am so grateful for you.

And then, Lisa.  Our friendship hasn't yet endured the fire of time, but she has been a fierce force for good in my life.  We moved into her ward 4.5 years ago.  Our friendship was forged when we ran past each other one early morning.  Well, if we were both running, we might as well do it together!  What is it about running beside someone that makes you want to bare your soul?  She knows more about me than I'm sure she cares to, bless her!  Really, our runs together have been therapy for me.  I can get out my emotional and physical stress all in one go!  Lisa is one amazing wife, mother, daughter, and sister and I admire her in so many ways.  She has encouraged me (without her even knowing it) to change several aspects of our family life and these changes have brought more love into our home, no doubt.  She also encourages me to live the gospel more fully through her example.  She is a perfect example of someone who loves me for who I am (I haven't scared her yet, that I know of anyway) and helps me to be a better person.  Lisa, I am so grateful for you!

This may seem cheesy, but I don't care.  This is my blog.  My husband is my very dearest, my most constant, my very best friend.  And bonus, he comes with benefits!  ;)  He truly matches my definition of a true friend in every way.  He listens to me when I go on and on about the same stupid problems.  He holds me close when all I need is comfort.  He'll stop what he's doing and focus on my when he can see I need it.  He spends time with me, and makes that a priority, even when he has a billion other things going on.  He encourages me to take care of myself.  I love that in our marriage, we are often talking about what we can do better, both individually and as a team.  He knows me, like really knows me, all my crazy, corny, emotional, thorny, lazy ways.  Every wart.  Ya know what?  He still loves me!  I love you, Nick.  Thank you for loving me.  I am eternally grateful for you.

Thank you to all of my friends!  This is not an all-inclusive list.  I have many good people in my life who have filled a spot in my heart and who have been true friends.  Thank you, all.  Thank you for loving me for who I am, and helping me to be a better person!  I hope I can do the same for you.

2 comments:

Alicia Smith said...

Well, now I see where your kids get it, sleeping on the floor, or stairs, or wherever the nap urge hits them. :) I wish my kids had inherited that gene. Pretty much if my kids are napping, they must be sick. Because that is the only time they will nap.

rabnerfamily said...

Wendy, you have great friends because you are a great friend. Our chat may be the highlight of the month. Yes, I love that we can just pick up where we left off and it is as if no time has passed.