I'm not very good at planning things way in advance. Sometimes I surprise myself and do, but mostly, I'm a spontaneous kind of gal. I knew Fall Break was coming up for my kids and I real bad wanted to get out of town. It is the thing to do, after all (busiest weekend at the Salt Lake airport we've been told). We looked into a few different locations, but always seem to end up in our favorite little getaway, St. George! Maybe we'd have more places to explore if I actually booked in advance? I'm thinking so.
Anyway, our hotel was booked. Nick had a 4 day conference in Michigan just previous to Fall Break, and I was seriously considering ditching Nick with the kids on his return and hijacking a friend or two and enjoying a weekend thinking only of myself. My kids are lucky little rascals and got to come along after all. I didn't have the heart to break theirs, especially Everett who was counting down the days. Thankfully, it was a mostly relaxing sort of vacation.
Pool time is a must:
We tried out the Fractured Prune. If you like warm cake donuts (and who doesn't?), you will like this place. Highly recommend.
Keeping the Sabbath day holy can be a bit tricky while on vacation, but we did our best to make it special. We went to church and then took a walk around the temple and enjoyed the visitor's center.
Maren and Lu walking down the temple steps like princesses:
Aw, best of friends:
I'm thinking Daisy has the silly face thing down:
And my Everett looks so suave in that photo! What a handsome little dude!
It was cloudy the entire time and rained on us just a bit. Thank goodness umbrellas make for an adventure all on their own! An umbrella with feet:
We also visited Brigham's home:
We will be growing out of 'normal' hotel rooms before too long, I fear. But for now, we squeeze them all in.
We traveled home through Zion's and Bryce Canyon, thanks to Ellie, our resident Fourth Grader (free National Park pass for Fourth Graders, in case you didn't know). I do believe we live in the most beautiful state.
Checkerboard Mesa in Zions:
I wanted to go to Bryce as I haven't been there in years. It was chilly, rainy and foggy with poor visibility and wet shoes and all, but it was enjoyed anyway!
Do you see the rainbow?
Me and my Honey, who has been my adventure buddy for nearly 11 years now!
Let's do it some more, k?
My girls with their 'sad/mad' faces. Sometimes it's real. This time it was not.
A glad pic too, to even things out:
Ellie wanted to go hike in those hoodoos. Next time. Cause we are going back. My kids, at this time, have short memories, so I figure we have to take them back to these places about every two years or so. They won't complain about them already doing and seeing it all cause they won't remember it, and I get to enjoy it over and over again. :)
Here's to spontaneous little adventures!





















No comments:
Post a Comment