Several months ago, we realized we needed to make it a priority to spend more one-on-one time with our children. It became realized when some of my children were driving me absolutely batty and I thought to myself, "perhaps if I spent more one-on-one time with this kid (or that kid, or that one...), I might like them better." Yep, it's true, sometimes I don't like my kids. I'm not trying out for any awards here, so I'm ok with it. Anyway. It really is important, and we've noticed a difference in our family. There is only one problem... Nick or I kind of get a little jealous. :) Perhaps our real problem is that Nick and I often don't get a date just for us, and we crave that time together. I suppose we need to work on that one.
Anyway, I told Nick of our plans to go to Chalk the Block, and he wanted to come too! So, Ellie and I's outing became a family outing instead.
Anyway, I told Nick of our plans to go to Chalk the Block, and he wanted to come too! So, Ellie and I's outing became a family outing instead.
It was amazing! Who are these people that can draw so well on asphalt? Ellie really wanted to go back the next day to see the progress they had made.
The kids added their own art:
And Daisy got soaking wet running through the fountain:
By the way, Ellie did get her time with Mom. We went to see Maleficent together, which was awesome! We both loved it.
And if you're interested, here's how we work out our date schedule with our kids (because people have asked): Nick and I both take a turn each month with a child. That child rotates through our three oldest kids (for example, Nick took Everett this month, and I took Ellie. Next month he'll take Ellie and I'll take Maren). Lu will be turning three here soon, so I think she'll be starting the rotation soon as well. At the beginning of each month, we schedule in our 'dates' and make sure they happen! The kids get to decide on the activity, and we try to keep them to an hour or so. They really look forward to their turn and Nick and I really enjoy this time as well. It is really nice to concentrate on the awesomeness of just one kid at a time.
And perhaps next month, Nick and I will schedule one in for ourselves too. That would be nice, now wouldn't it?









No comments:
Post a Comment