Monday, February 3, 2014

A Very Special Day

 Saturday was a very special day for our family.  Ellie was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

First of all, this little lady helped me make cake for the event:
And when I say "help" I mean "she licked her first frosting beater".  Am I an awesome mommy or what?  :)

Anyway, back to our special day...
 We stopped at the temple for a moment to snap a photo.

Daddy baptized her.  It was a special thing for him, we could all tell because he got pretty choked up trying to say the prayer.  Ellie said later, "Dad's voice sounded funny."  He gave a beautiful confirmation blessing, and then lost it again during the closing song and prayer.  Maren was wondering why Dad's eyes were watering.  Actually, Mom lost it too while saying the closing prayer.  There is something about that first child.  We hit a milestone and I just can't wrap my mind around my kids growing up.  Next she'll be driving cars (AAAAHHH!!) and then moving out.  Whoa, stop the madness!
 We were so blessed to have Grandmas, Grandpas, Aunt, Uncles, and cousins join us.  Thanks to all who came!
 Milestones and growing babies aside, it was an incredibly spiritual day for all of us.  Ellie was just beaming all day.  She knew she was doing the right thing.  She was so happy.  If I had to give one word for the event it would be this:  joy.  Joy to know that Heavenly Father loves us.  Joy knowing that my family will be eternal.  Joy knowing that my kids will have the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and if they follow our Savior, they will be protected and blessed, just as I have been and continue to be.  True, eternal joy.  I'm so grateful for my Ellie and the wonderful person she is becoming.  I'm grateful to have a part in that, and just hope and pray I can be the mother she needs to help her along her path in this life and into eternity.

My family.  I tell you what, I'm 8+ years into this mothering business and I still have to pinch myself.  Am I really doing this?

2 comments:

Red headed left handed Bishops said...

Yay for Ellie!! What an awesome day!! I love your little family and am so happy for this huge milestone!!

And PS, your hair is getting so long, I love it!!

Penny Wadham said...

Wish we could have been there. We are so proud of Ellie, she is such a beautiful person.