Monday, November 4, 2013

Momma Needs

 I used to think I was a pretty calm, laid back type of a person.  I used to think I was pretty adaptable to change, sure, bring it on!  But now, I'm second guessing that truth about myself.  Bringing a baby into our home has been a wonderful thing.  I mean, come on, look at this face:
Waking up to that just makes me happy, it really truly does.  But, having five little people who have constant demands is incredibly draining, and I'm finding the need to strike a balance in my life.  I felt the same after all my kids.  I've heard experienced mothers say that certain number of children can be more difficult than others, like "#3 was an easy transition, but #4 just did me in!"  Well, 5 kids, spaced so closely together, oh baby!  I'll admit that it's not been an easy transition.  I feel like I'm being pulled about 15 different ways at once.  Laundry needs to be done... but wait!  The baby needs to be snuggled... but wait!  The three year old is yelling at me because he wants to do puzzles with me... but wait!  I really want to finish my library book that's due in a week... but wait!  The bathrooms haven't been cleaned in three weeks and the sinks are starting to grow mold... but wait!  I am going to lose my mind if I don't get 5 minutes to myself... but wait!  Lu needs a sippy refilled (and oh yeah, is that the sippy that's been floating around the house for a week?)... but wait!  Maren needs her hair combed... but wait! ... Get the idea?  And it's not just the needs of the household that have me overwhelmed, but I have to actually teach these little people to be caring, sensitive to others, respectful, grow their talents, understand Heavenly Father's plan, know their ABCs and numbers too, to enjoy learning, to pray, to love, and that they are loved, no matter what.  Wow, if that's not a big job.

Now, I must also say that I love where I am.  I love being a mom.  I know I'm not perfect at it, but I love it.  I love that I get to stay at home with my kids.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.  I am grateful.  But boy howdy, I want to pull my hair out some days.

I remembered that I had to write down some expectations after Lainey was born, and I decided that it would be a good idea to do it again.  It's been printed out and put on our fridge as a reminder in the house that Momma has some needs as well.  Here it is:

Momma Needs:
Down Time
Give mom a break!  Mom’s off duty after 8:30pm.

Peace
No yelling or name calling.

Order
Everyone does a 10 minute pick-up before bedtime (7:30). 
If you make a mess, clean it up.

Daddy
Pray together every day. 
“Date Night” once a week, even if it’s at home once the kids are in bed.  Plan for it in advance.

Food
Plan meals.  Dinnertime is at 6:30.

Sleep
Mom’s bedtime is at 10:30.

Exercise
At least three days a week.

If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!

I post this because blogs tend to only focus on the 'sunshine and roses', and I want you all to know that I have problems too along with my really cute kids.  Maybe it'll help someone else, who knows.

Anyway.  I do have really cute kids.  Here's some more of this one:



 Man alive, seriously, she is that adorable!  I know she's mine, and I'm biased, but I just don't think they come any cuter than that.
 Ellie wanted in on the action.  Um, who stole my little girl and replaced her with a big kid?  She is such a help to mom and I don't know what I'd do without her.  Last night I was trying to get all the kids, and myself a little throw-together dinner.  She was waiting for us all to come join her in the family room so we could start a movie and she says, "I know!  Since I'm not doing anything, I'll come help you!  What can I do?"  Child, I love love love you!

And also, the first snow fall of the season:


Simple pleasures, people.

1 comment:

Adam and Rachel Family said...

You are amazing Wendy! I love ya. Thanks for your example of being a wonderful mother.