I came downstairs the other day to find this:
Maren had made a "school" and was "reading" to Everett and a collection of stuffed animals. It was really cute.
These are the moments that make all the whining, picking up toys and breaking up fights worth it.
(Alicia, does Lainey not look a little like your A in that photo?)
When I started having babies, wiping bums, cleaning up toddler messes and getting swept up with the everyday life of a mother with small children, I just kind of always had the mindset that this would last forever. Now, of course I'm a smart person and knew it really wouldn't, but when you're in the thick of it, it just seems like it will. Lately, I've had wake-up moments (like when Ellie makes her lunch all by herself before I even get out of bed, or Maren can reach the sink without a stool) where I realize that this time with small children really is only a smidgen of time. A tiny moment. It's not fair really, those years between 0 and 5 go by way too quickly. Perhaps that's why I'm happy about another baby on the way. I'm not ready to move on to the next phase in life: "Mother of big kids in school". Perhaps I'll have 10 kids, just so I can extend that time that I have a toddler to snuggle, or a preschooler to climb up in my lap with a book (I jest, by the way, I'm pretty sure I'd fall apart, mentally and physically, before I got to 10). I tear up as I type this, it makes me so sad that someday it won't be there. I know there are other things to look forward to - no diaper bags (no diapers!), playing games as a family without someone stealing and eating the pieces, kids getting themselves in and out of the car, really I could go on and on. But the whole point of this is, I'm living in the moment. I want to enjoy this time where my kids are little because it is so fleeting. It's hard, I'm not going to lie. There are moments (lots of them) where I just want a few minutes to myself where someone is not climbing my leg or asking for something. Sometimes, I just want to sit and do nothing. Somedays I want to pack my bags and go running to the hills, I'm that close to going completely insane. But then my kids give me that big grin. They give me love and cuddles even though I just yelled at them. Those eyes suck me in. And I am once again reminded how fast they grow. So, I sit on the floor and let them crawl all over me. I really am so grateful to be right where I am. That was a lot of rambling. Congrats to you if you made it through.
Oh, and Lainey has this mother business all figured out. She's mopping the floor with a baby on her hip, and looking fashionable all at the same time. And with only one sock.
By the way, my Lou is quite the charmer (we knew this already). She had her 18 month check and the doctor was just mesmerized by her. He said that she was his favorite 18 month old and that he could hang out with her all day. That is my lucky job, by the way. She is 22.5 lbs (48%) and 30.5 inches (17%).





1 comment:
I can see a little resemblance. I sure would like to get those two girls together and watch them play.
Post a Comment