So, yesterday was Mother's Day. It was a lovely day. I must say that the best gift that I recieved came from our bishop, and no, it wasn't the potted plant I was given after sacrament meeting. That blessed man canceled all early morning meetings, which means that I actually had my husband at home on a Sunday morning. It was SO wonderful. The second best gift was from my darling children, who made me cards all on their own. I loved Ellie explaining to me what the pictures were. "This is a dot to dot. This is Everett still in your tummy." Among other things. She had also cut it up, and then taped it back together in her Ellie-style. We had a wonderful, daddy-made breakfast (after a good sleep in) and I was surprised with a container garden with flowers picked out and planted by Ellie (pink, of course). Then we basked the morning away out in the warm sunshine. Then, I actually had Nick's help getting the kids ready for church. A perfect start to the day, if you ask me.
All day, my heart was full of mommy love. I haven't yet had a guilt-filled mother's day (although I am far from perfect and certainly feel guilty about many of my mommy moments), but rather I am just filled with gratitude and a sense of awe about what this whole mother thing is all about. Lately I have felt a bit overwhelmed and inadaquate in the mothering department...well, yesterday I felt peace in my soul as I heard not once but twice (and from different sources) that love will cover our parenting 'mistakes'. No, I'm not perfect. I don't have all the answers as to how to best raise my kids. But do I love them? YES YES YES!!! Love, I can do. I can focus on that love and give it freely. I can do that.
And of course, my thoughts turn to my own mother. I owe everything I am to that wonderful woman. She raised me to be a mother, and I can feel her strength as I strive to raise my own kids. I love you, Mom. Thank you for, well, everything.
And now, if you'll excuse me...I have a baby that I need to snuggle.

1 comment:
That post captures what I love about you Wendy! You have a wonderful spirit and your kids will never lack for love,that I know. You are amazing. Thank you for your beautiful words!
Post a Comment