I woke up to this:
You'd want to get out of bed too, huh? Usually he has a big smile for me, this time he was a bit confused with a big black box instead of mommy's face. It was 7 am. Breakfast was eaten, cartoons watched, daddy given lots of hugs and kisses (usually twice), and I did my usual round of seeing what's going on in the world (ie browsing blogs and facebook).Then I went running. I have a good friend and neighbor who trades off watching kids so the other can exercise. It is wonderful.
When I got home, my baby was ready for some momma's milk and a nap. I was happy to oblige. I love snuggling my baby to sleep. And, keep in mind that I did just run, I look sweaty, and I was.
This particular day, I was actually thinking ahead for dinner. Usually the time rolls around to 4 or 5 before I even start thinking about it. Anyway, I put a roast in the crock pot, and then took Missy Maren in the shower with me (I fear what would happen if she was running loose - I enjoy my shower much more this way). After dressing myself, I dressed Maren and encouraged Ellie to do the same. Every day includes some kind of adventure, right? Well, yesterday included a doctor's visit for me. Don't worry, all is okay. You don't really want to know...We returned home and lunch was made (after a fit and dry macaroni all over the floor). Maren was put in bed for a nap. I indulged and did this:
Two of my favorite things: a good book (this one is "John Adams" by David McCullough) and a sleeping baby. My Ellie was not happy with mom taking a minute to herself, so this only lasted for 15 minutes or so. I put in a load of laundry and washed the dishes while supervising Ellie while she played games on the computer. I spent some time with Everett on the floor, watered the plants outside and pushed Ellie on the swing. 
Dad came home and was greeted by happy children. He finished putting together the swingset, while I finished putting together dinner (roast beef sandwiches with grilled onions, peppers, and melted swiss cheese. Not exactly healthy, but delicious).
I cleaned up dinner, then cut Ellie and Nick's hair. I put Everett to bed and got the girls in the tub. Take notice of Ellie's new haircut. I cut off a good 4 inches or so.
I got the girls a snack and after our nightly routine of tooth brushing, prayers, scriptures and stories, tucked the girls in bed, then enjoyed an episode or two of the Office. After my own routine of hygiene, prayers, and scripture reading, I turned off the light at about 10:30. Here are some numbers:
7 Everett feedings
10 diapers changed (4 Maren, 6 Everett)
2 spit ups (1 on my shirt, 1 on my pants)
0 poop explosions (in a usual day we have at least 1, and sometimes 2 - yesterday was a good day!)
3 miles ran
2 clean children (only one more to go!)
In some ways, this is a typical day, in other ways, it was not. But, that's life. We adapt and move on. I am so grateful that I have a husband with a stable job, and that I'm able to be home with my children. Especially in this day when people are job searching for months, in fear of losing their homes, and moving in with other family members to make ends meet. I am so so so grateful. Sure there are days that I don't really have a minute to myself, when I'm covered in baby throw up (or worse). But you know what? I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Even if they paid me the big bucks.

1 comment:
Thanks, Wend, for giving me some cultural insight into a different world. :-)
Post a Comment