Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Our New Groove

These last two months, I've been wanting to do a little of this: That is me, by the way. Pretty cute kid, eh? Anyway... I've decided that in a family, you kind of work a groove where everyone has a place and is comfortable. Well, having a child throws off your groove. Doesn't matter if it is baby #1 or baby #10 (I'm imagining here). So, these last several weeks I have certainly felt out of my groove. But the good news is that we've worked a new groove! I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of this three kid thing. And the kids are settled into their new grooves too. It makes for a much happier family!

Speaking of groove working... I've been awfully hard on myself. Why is it that women beat themselves up all the time? I had to give myself a good talking to. It went something like this: "You are not the perfect mother. Get over it. Your four year old is not perfect either. In fact, perfect four year olds don't exist. Give the poor kid a break. You are doing your best, and somedays that means you are in your trackies and t-shirt and makeup-less, and the house is one big mess. Your husband will love you anyway, because he's like that. And if your friends can't look past a messy house, well, they weren't your real friends anyway. Give yourself a break." It must have worked, because after that, things got much better. I'm trying to focus on the most important things, and if that means I choose to sit and read books with my kids instead of unloading the dishwasher, well, so be it.

No comments: