Monday, June 22, 2009

Getting something accomplished

Time for Nick's semi-annual post.

I actually got something done! Last weekend, Wendy and I started digging footings for the future pergola that will go over the future patio. We had to go below 30 inches deep, but from about 5 through 25 inches, we hit rocks, compacted rocks, and stones. The pick axe was handy, but that little project took all day -- just for the first 2 holes. I started to put the rebar in and pour concrete as I heard thunder. I decided since there was a little bit of daylight left, and the clouds didn't look too ominous, to do the second footing. I started mixing a couple more bags of concrete mix when the rain started. But it worked out before I got terribly soaked.

Fast forward one week to last Saturday. I began digging another hole. And to my great astonishment, no rock layer! I got the third hole all deep and beautiful and square, and started on number four. Actually, I started to dig down to the top of the soil level so that I could begin on number four. Turns out I had placed a pile of road base on that spot previously (remember the future patio?) Then the rains came. And came. Noah probably didn't have to pour concrete as he worked in the rain.

Today is now Monday, and I decided to take the day off. Wendy says I need to start using what's left of my vacation days to do something fun, and not just work in the yard. She's probably right, but how could I relax when this project has been looming over my head for a couple of years now? Anyway, I finally made some progress. I finished digging footing number four and poured the concrete into three and four. And no rain.

Then, thanks to a laser level on a tripod, I set the tube forms for the piers to the same height and poured concrete for all four piers on top of the footings. Now with the base for a pergola all set, I can finally begin the work on the patio itself. Just need to spread out the road base, grade it, compact it, lay sand, and then the pavers. We may just pull off a patio before summer's over.


2 comments:

Princess Carrie said...

I will be excited to see the finished product. We will have to see your posts when we come over this week.

Pemblemily said...

How fun to contemplate the finished project! You guys are amazing.