Monday, May 11, 2009

Sweet and Sour Pork

I am trying to branch out and try some new recipes. This one was post-worthy. Delicious. And better than that, it was fast and simple. Recipe courtesy of Lion House Classics.

2 lbs. lean pork, cut into strips (I used pork chops)
2 T cornstarch
1/4 c. soy sauce
3 T oil
2 c. carrots, sliced
3 small onions, cut in quarters (I used one big one)
1 green pepper, cut in strips
1 can chunk pineapple, drained (I used tidbits)
3 T cornstarch
3 T brown sugar
2 c. pineapple juice (I used the drained juice from the tidbits, added an additional can of pineapple juice, and a little water)
1/4 c. vinegar
1/3 c. soy sauce
Cooked rice

Mix 2 T cornstarch and 1/4 c. soy sauce. Marinate pork in this mixture for at least 1 hour and up to overnight, in refrigerator. Drain, reserving marinade. Stir-fry meat in hot oil until evenly browned and tenter, about 10 minutes. Remove meat from pan. Stir-fry carrots and onions in same pan, using more oil if necessary. Cover and cook on low heat until tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Add green pepper and pineapple. Return meat to pan, then stir in marinade.

In the meantime, make sweet and sour sauce: Mix cornstarch and sugar in small saucepan. Add pineapple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and clear. Pour over meat and vegetables; heat until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve over cooked rice.

1 comment:

Alicia Smith said...

I made this recipe last night and it was great! Thanks for the idea Wendy. I halved the meat but did everything else the same, and we have four left over portions all ready to go for lunches! Yay for leftovers!