Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nick writes again! And Spring Fever hits

OK, Nick's turn to write this week. So if this seems incoherent, you'll know why.

This week we are all feeling much better. Of course, I think our house might still be harboring a bug. Poor Aspen, Ellie's cousin, came over to play on Wednesday, and by Saturday, she was tossing all her cookies. But enough talk of sickness. I'm sick of that.

And speaking of feeling better, I was able to continue running again this week, and pulled off 3 days again. About 4 years ago, I started running a bit and was able to do a few 5k runs. I never got really fast, but it was nice to be more in shape. Then about the time Ellie came along, I gained some sympathy paternity weight, and pretty much fell away from running for a while. Well, last June, the Doctor said I needed to get into shape, so I started tracking my eating on one of those free websites. I also started going faithfully to the local rec center, which is fairly easy since it is only two blocks away from home. They have an 1/8th mile indoor track. So, I found I can go faithfully if I head out at about (yuck) 6:00am. I get in some warm-up, about 35 minutes of decent running, and then a cool-down and stretch. So I could easily do another 5k run, I'd like to build up some speed so I could do one in a respectable time. Between that and the internet food tracker (which I only used for a couple of weeks until I learned proper proportions), I've lost almost 45 pounds. But I still have like 25 more to go. With any luck, I'll get there soon. It will be nice to get to a good, healthy, stable weight so I can buy some new clothes. Mine are hanging off like garbage bags, and I have punched about 6 holes in my belt.

Here's a riddle: What can be Green and Creamy or Tan and Frothy? I'll bet you a shiny nickel you don't really want to know. I was asked at work to do some data extracts from the hospital Nursing system regarding the volumes and descriptions of... uh... well, nature's fertilizer. What I found was educational, but I thought I was back in junior high when I was discussing the data request with the clinical folks. I have to say I'm just really glad I'm not the nurse who gets to evaluate the stuff. But I am grateful that there are some great medical professionals that are willing to do the dirty jobs.

Other work fun: Most of you can remember the ZCMI center mall in downtown Salt Lake City. I work on the 9th floor of an office building that came up through that mall. Well, the mall has been demolished and work is beginning on a new shopping/residential/entertainment area on the property. It's been an adventure working in the middle of a destruction/construction zone, with the constant jack-hammering going on. But as a guy, it's fun to watch the big equipment claw at the concrete parking structures and crush the concrete pillars. Last week, they started building a tower crane outside the window near my desk. That's fun to learn how those things can grow taller as it builds itself. Right now it's only about 12 stories high, but soon it will start climbing until it's about 30 stories high, in order to reach over our building. These are the things that keep the job interesting, but productivity at a healthy rate!

Well, this week is the end of February. Today it rained (without snow), and I am really ready for spring. Our fruit trees are starting to bud out, and I signed up for a fruit tree pruning class at Thanksgiving Point, put on by the county extension office. I'm looking forward to our pear trees and our eventual peach trees, and whatever else we can fit in the yard. I'm starting to think about starting the tomatoes and peppers inside soon, although I need to control myself a little more. Last year, we didn't have the heart to throw out all the tomato seedlings, and we ended up with 45 big tomato plants in the garden. Anyway, the tulips and daffodils are getting spring fever too, with their tips poking up out of the ground. We have a few hundred bulbs in the front of the house, so it should look really cool when they all bloom.



And for all the happiness, Ellie never ceases to be cute. We were sitting at Church today, and after the sacrament hymn, she immediately starts clapping and yelling "Yaaaaay!" Kind of the wrong time, but it made me smile too.

I guess that's all for today, so comment away!

1 comment:

Alicia Smith said...

Way to go Nick! I'm so proud of you! I would love to run some 5k's this summer too. So let me know when you sign up for them. I'm glad that you guys do a blog. It's fun to see the pictures and read about what is going on.