Monday, March 18, 2013

Destruction

Another productive (and also destructive) Saturday.  The lazy Saturdays of Winter are gone.  In some ways, I'm happy about that (goodbye Winter, hurray!), and in other ways, I'm not quite ready to give up my daylight hours to endless projects.  We have a "Spring Project" list that just seems to grow.  Anyway, we got a good start.

Nick planted two new fruit trees with the kids:

And then we started our big kitchen project.  We are planning to move an existing built-in desk, install new counter-height cabinets, and then replace our nasty granite tile with a solid granite countertop.

We always have an idea of how easy a project should be, but why can't it ever be as easy as we thought?  We just ran across more problems than we solved - we found cabinets that we thought were a good match for our kitchen, just to bring them home and discover that they are not the same.  Of course, they are not returnable.  The boards that the granite tile was attached to is glued to the cabinets, so we need to find a way to remove them without damaging the existing cabinets.  And when we went to move the desk, it wouldn't budge.  That thing is very securely fastened to the floor, and we aren't exactly sure how.  Awesome.  Thankfully, I have a smart and handy husband who is very good at solving problems.  I'm sure at the end of it all, we'll be glad we did it, right?  RIGHT???

Okay, on to another topic.  I made skirts for the girls.  They are simple, and took me about a half hour to sew together, but turned out so cute.
    This was an after church shot, so they are looking a bit ragged.  And doesn't Lainey look so big?  Man, they grow too fast.

Also, a note on St. Patrick's Day.  We don't do anything overboard around here.  "Lucky" did bring us some Lucky Charms for breakfast, and we all wore just a little green.  Which makes me laugh a little.  I, personally, think it's kind of fun to wear green, but Nick has always kind of rebelled against the idea of "having" to wear green just because of a silly holiday.  Well, now that our kids are big enough that they take great delight in pinching others, he kind of didn't have a choice but to protect himself.  Twice he made the mistake of not wearing green and quickly ran to the closet to change.  I smile.  :)

Here's another photo of Lainey, looking all toddler-like with her hair in ponies:
She's doing her favorite thing:  emptying drawers.  You should try it, it's lots of fun.  ;)

2 comments:

Red headed left handed Bishops said...

Those are adorable skirts!!

We want to take out our kitchen desk too, but I want double ovens there, so that project will have to wait a few years. Good luck on your project, I can't wait to see the finished product!!

Alicia Smith said...

Looks like fun - destroying that countertop. We actually started some destruction as well. I scraped all the popcorn off of William's ceiling and jonathan sanded down the walls. Project "detexturing" has begun! Good luck with your kitchen. What will be the fate for the cabinet you bought? Craigslist? Or the garage?