Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blast it All!

So, for the last month and a half, I've had some blood in my urine, but no pain. Heard enough already? Well, you may want to stop reading now. If you are grossly interested, here's the rest of the story:

I was tested for an UTI, negative. I visited a family doctor who sent me to the hospital for a CT scan, where they found 4 kidney stones in my left kidney, the biggest being 5mm. He referred me to a urologist, who took an xray of my jewel. He advised me to get it blasted. That is what happened this morning. Actually, it wasn't that bad. I actually enjoyed my 'nap' and asked if they could put me out again (at least I vaguely remember that...or maybe I was just thinking it). The worst part was the nausea afterwards. I have since then passed several small stones, most of them no bigger than a tiny grain of sand. My pain? Eh, not much worse than cramps (although it was worse right after the procedure). I haven't taken any drugs since I first came to, and I'm hoping to resume normal life tomorrow. My husband has been so so so wonderful - taking care of Everett all day, straining my very bloody urine, fixing me toast, picking up my prescriptions and my favorite cereal, and cleaning up the kitchen while I slept away the effects of my anesthesia. Grandma and Grandpa have been pretty wonderful too - they watched the girls pretty much all day. Thank you, thank you.

And, for your viewing pleasure, my stones (so far, anyway):Yes, I am grateful it didn't all come out in one big chunk. Owie.

3 comments:

tweedlediva said...

I soooooo feel your pain! I currently have my 13th or 14th (I've lost track) rattling around in my right kidney. No fun at all. Feel better and drink lots of cranberry juice!

Red headed left handed Bishops said...

Ouch!! I hope you are feeling better!!

rabnerfamily said...

I am so glad they decided to blast them for you. I have seen people suffer way too much trying to pass kidney stones. I hope you are feeling more yourself quickly.