Saturday, July 4, 2009

Love - Hate Relationship

Nick and Ellie are taking naps between Fourth of July festivities and I'm hangin' with wide awake Maren, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get some stuff of my chest about our fruitful garden. Growing up, we always had a garden and every summer we payed our dues picking produce and helping (maybe just watching?) my mom put the fruits of the season up in store for our family. Nick's family also had a garden, and his Grandpa especially had quite the green thumb, so really, gardening runs in the blood. There was no question what we would do with a good portion of our .39 acre lot. However, every summer I am painfully reminded just how much work a garden is. Yesterday I pulled out our pea plants and harvested the remaining pods and then proceeded to shell them all. It took all freakin' day, and all I had to show for my hard work was a bowl full of peas. One bowl. One. It was a big bowl and will probably fill several quart bags for the freezer, but still. It was a whole lot of work for what seemed to be so little return. Just know that if you come to our house for dinner and we serve you peas, you are expected to eat every single one off your plate. No peas are wasted here. We know how much sweat went into that. (Note to self: get those said peas off the trays in the freezer and into quart bags before they get freezer burned and all my work was in vain...)

No comments: