Saturday, November 15, 2008

Books versus Movies

It's time again for another episode of Nick's Rants. Sure, it's been quite a while since the March 2008 rants on Sporks, Utah Shakes, and Chocohol. But now I have one more, of just as great importance.
People are talking about wanting to see the latest chick-flick, The Secret Life of Bees. I have nothing against chick-flicks; they're usually entertaining enough, unless it's Pride and Prejudice. Sorry, I tried a few times to get through a couple different versions of that one, and I just couldn't do it. But I digress.
The Secret Life of Bees is based on a book, and I realized that very often, people want to see a newly released movie version of a book they've previously read. Sounds fine. I've even been guilty of this a couple times. But then I thought of the aftermath of seeing the movie. Without fail, I'll hear someone say how the book was so much better. Just once in my life, I want to hear someone say, "The movie was so much better than the book" and really mean it. I mean, if you like the book so much, why bother seeing the movie at all? We all know what the reviews will be.
Now I was thinking of proposing an alternative, namely skipping the book altogether an just watching the movie. However, besides the flack I'd be sure to receive from my literary friends (April, Em, and many others), the movie industry simply has not released much worth taking even the two hours of my time to see. And let's not forget how many of these newer movies carry a risk that I'd be dumber for having seen them. But again, I digress. The undeniable fact is that the book seems to always be better than the movie. Maybe the solution is to ban movies based on books... or at least the ones that leave me dumber than before.

8 comments:

Brown Family said...

Although I understand your point (although laugh at some of your digressions), I must point out that movies based on books serve as great writing tools for my students who can compare the two--what was the same? what was difference? which did you prefer? why? I guess we shouldn't ban them altogether (and I'd certainly rather see The Secret Life of Bees--excellent book--than Twilight, which I will probably have to see with Shaylee).

Nick said...

I never thought of the writing tool to get students to compare and contrast the two. I wish more people would do that than simply say that book was better.
I thought you might be one of the ones I'd strike a nerve with! ;)

Pemblemily said...

I think it all depends on what your expectations are. If you go to a book-based movie expecting it to be "just like" the book, you'll always be disappointed because they are completely different mediums. I have to say, though, I liked The "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" movie better than I liked the book. (That may be way TOO chick flick-ish for you to have seen, so you'll just have to take my word on it.)

tweedlediva said...

Ok, Nick... I know that you are expecting a little mini-April tantrum, but actually (cue shocked gasp) I agree with you this time. I really wish that they would not ruin books by making movies out of them. I have instituted a rule in my home that you MUST read the book before seeing a movie based on it, but this inevitably ruins the movie because all I can do is sit there the entire time and point out to Matt how they messed up the book.

Oh and then there is the problem of people not reading the books at all because they have already seen the movie, or loosing their imaginations because the movie has already stuck an image in their heads. Case in point- when we did Harry Potter costumes for Halloween I dressed Taylor up as Dobby as described in the books- and a bunch of people didn't know who he was because he didn't look like the cinematic Dobby. Obnoxious.

Collette said...

Hey Nick! I saw your blog from Jared's Facebook page and had to comment.

First off - your family is adorable! Very, very cute!

Second - we live just up the road from you guys and we all should get together sometime

Third - I just read "The Wizard of Oz" for the first time and the movie was MUCH better. Thought you would appreciate that.

Brown Family said...

Nick, I just remembered that the movie Mary Poppins is also much better than the book (and I agree with The Wizard of Oz as well).

Janine said...

Stardust! Better movie than book. Promise.

Octopus Knits said...

Heh, I just read your post and was excited that I was about to disprove your statement that books are always better than the movies based on them (there are a number of movies that I have prefered). However, I'm happy to see that several commenters beat me to it!

The most recent example I can think of: I saw the movie Stardust, loved it, excitedly ran out and got the book, read the book, and thought - geez, I much prefer the movie.... There were actually a number of major plot differences, and in every case, I thought the movie was better. So, right on, Janine!