Monday, November 28, 2016

Where I Belong

We had a most wonderful Thanksgiving break, and I'm so sad it's over.  The best part?  I had my honey around.  It's not often these days that I get quality time with that man.  I miss him.  It was so wonderful to have him all to myself for days on end.

So, we've had some snow in the last week or so.  My kids were so thrilled to get out there and play in it!  This photo was taken at about 7:30am:
 I don't know that I've seen my kids so motivated to get ready for school so they could get outside and play.  All in about a 1/4 inch of snow!!  :)

 It snowed again a couple days later during the break, and after getting home late, they just couldn't resist the pull of newly fallen snow.  I sat and watched from a window, all cozied up inside as they made snowmen at 10pm at night.  Simple pleasures, people.  It was one of those rare moments when everything just feels right in the world.

Speaking of snow, they'll be so excited to come home from school today - there's a good couple inches and it's still snowing!  Snow before Christmas is exciting.  Snow in February, not so much.

We had cousins over one evening and no time was wasted.  These girls got straight into throwing a fancy party:
 Those are some cheesy, fake grins.  Mom and her camera as so inconvenient when fun is to be had.

On Wednesday, we continued our tradition of a family movie - we went to see Moana, and loved it.

And then, Thanksgiving at my moms:


 Can you spy Uncle Nate?  We were lucky enough to have him along with us.  He chose to sit by the cute red head.  Go figure.

 It was a wonderful day.  As wonderful as Thanksgiving gets.  There was delicious food and fantastic company.  The kids enjoyed playing with cousins, running around the farm, four-wheeler rides and watching movies.  I enjoyed a long country walk with my sisters and a game of cards.  I love these people and am so grateful to call them mine.  

Are you fans of Brene Brown?  I am.  She's changed the way I look at people, myself included.  I love her thoughts about belonging and have been thinking a whole lot about it as of late.  Here's one of her quotes:  "We can only belong when we offer our most authentic selves and when we're embraced for who we are."

I belong with my family.  I feel so safe, happy, and comfortable when I'm around them.  I can be my honest, goofy, half-crazy, sometimes blunt, sometimes ornery, sometimes silly self around them, and guess what?  They still embrace me for who I am!  I mean, they may look at me cock-eyed, but they still love me!  I think I've taken that for granted my whole life.  I don't anymore.  I am so grateful for that gift.  I realize that it is not always given so freely.

What comes after Thanksgiving?  Christmas, of course!  The kid were begging to get Christmas out of the boxes.

I love this time of year.

The rest of our weekend was spent lounging, napping, some shopping, eating too much, watching movies, and scooting around on the plasma car if you're under the age of 11.  My kids were lucky to have K stay with us.  That kid blends right in and is a pleasure to have around.  And now, play time is over.  :(

No comments: