Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Book of Mormon

 We had a celebration here last night.  We finished the Book of Mormon as a family!  The entire book!  That is quite a feat for only a few verses at a time!  I can't even tell you how long it took us, except to say that it took several years.  Three kids have gone from repeating verses line by line to reading them on their own.  I tell you what, there is nothing sweeter than when your one year old starts talking scripture.  And, it's almost as sweet to hear your kindergartener reading verses on their own.
If you imagine us all sitting quietly with books in our laps, listening when it isn't our turn, you'd be dead wrong.  It's more like a circus.  However, we are pretty consistent.  I call that a win!  We are doing something right!  Most of the time none of us don't have much of a clue what is going on (with the exception of Nick, he seems to be able to tune the kids out and focus better than the rest of us, go figure), but those moments we stop to talk about what those ancient prophets were talking about and then take opportunity to bear testimony, and have your kids acknowledge the Spirit, those are the sweet rewards.

We all got new books (old ones are pretty trashed), bookmarks and scripture markers to start all over again tonight.  

I know the Book of Mormon is true!  I have found so much comfort and peace in it's words as I study it daily.  It has become my refuge.  I hope my children can come to find the same.  A favorite scripture of mine right now is from 2 Nephi 1.  Lehi is talking to his sons and he tells them to "Awake...put on the armor of righteousness." (vs. 23)  First of all, don't we all need a reminder to "awake?"  Pay attention to what really matters!  And then, the armor.  We need spiritual armor.  The fiery darts of Satan are all around us, and we need to be protected (see 1 Nephi 15:24).  Our families need to be protected.  How?  I truly believe the scriptures are the answer.  I believe we are daily putting that armor on as we study and live the words from prophets past and present.  I want my kids to go out into the world with that armor, and I'm doing what I can to protect them, and myself, spiritually.  What a blessed responsibility I have with these precious souls.  And how blessed we are to have a loving Heavenly Father that has shown us the way!  Yay for scriptures!

After the last verse was read, we did some party poppers:
 We had just come home from a school festival, which is why Maren has a balloon hat, but more about that in a minute.

Our sweet Daisy babe:
She is so fun.  She is a content, happy thing and loves to play with her best friend, Lu.  Those two can disappear for hours at a time, playing with babies and barbies and ponies and dress up and house and other girlie things.  I'm treasuring these moments as they are slipping by all too quickly!

My happy helpers at the store: 

Last night was also a school Art Festival.  It was a blast!  There was a ton of activities for the kids, ice cream, and balloons!  Par-tay!

Everett with his best Kindy bud (and their double sided light sabers):



Good times.

1 comment:

Pete Rabner said...

Way to go! Finishing The Book of Mormon with littles is a major feat! I loved your testimony. It is my prayer that somehow my kids will remember these daily scripture reading experiences and that it is in some way putting on that armor of righteousness even if they are not fully understanding or paying attention.