Monday, January 7, 2013

The Parties

 My girl had one special day.  It was one exciting thing after another all the day long, and at the end of it all, this momma was exhausted, but it was fun all the same.  This year we did a friend party, and they all had a great time if screaming is any indication of how much fun they are having.  Actually, I admit that I had a good time myself.  My parties are kept pretty simple, and I've learned that the kids don't really care, and in fact, have just as much fun as if I put on some elaborate show.  After the snowman wrap game:
 That evening we had dinner at McDonald's (per Ellie's request) with cousins and then cake, ice cream and the opening of presents with both sets of Grandparents (lucky girl) and Nick's family.  I made a delicious chocolate cake with chocolate mousse, topped with ganache.  Oh, I'm pretty sure I'll have dreams about that cake.  It was yummy.  Funny though, the kids didn't really like it and Ellie told me it was gross.  More for me, I guess.
 Ellie shares a birthday with her Grandpa.

This year, Ellie really wanted a Barbie dollhouse (has been asking for one for awhile), and although I tried to persuade her otherwise (um, huge and expensive!) we finally caved.  She was expecting it though, so to put her on edge just a little we gave her a small box with a clue inside to send her on a treasure hunt.  Here she is with her first clue:
 And when she finally found her "treasure":
 It really made it a great surprise.  That was the best part of my day (and likely Ellie's too).
And here are other random photos from the evening.  Cute little piggies (the boys being entertained by a show on Nick's phone):
And Maren telling Uncle Nate stories:

2 comments:

Alicia Smith said...

Oh My Goodness! The 7 year old in me is drooling over that doll house. I would have LOVED something like that! What a lucky little girl. Wish I could have been there to help you out with that cake ;) looks delish! Are you going to share the recipe?

Wendy said...

Alicia, the recipe is linked, just scroll your mouse over "chocolate cake". I tried to make it a different color, but my computer was giving me grief. It was delicious!